Canadian teen was sedated when first questioned

The Miami Herald reports that the first person to interrogate 15-year-old Omar Khadr — while he was gravely wounded and lying sedated on a stretcher — was an Army interrogator who was later convicted of detainee abuse, according to testimony Tuesday in a Guantanamo Bay courtroom.

The interrogation came on the same day that Khadr had been moved to the Bagram Air Base detention center in Afghanistan from an adjacent hospital where’s he’d undergone four life-saving surgeries on his chest and eyes.

Defense attorneys said the testimony from a decorated Army master sergeant identified only as Interrogator No. 2 showed that the military had mistreated Khadr and created a coercive environment for his later confessions to throwing a hand grenade that killed U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer.

“You got a guy who is 15, seriously wounded, who has had multiple surgeries, and that’s the first time the United States government takes a statement from him to use in his prosecution,” said defense attorney Kobie Flowers. “Now whether it is torture, cruel, inhumane, degrading treatment or simply involuntary … I don’t think any federal judge in the United States would allow that type of conduct.”

Interrogator No. 2 said that he was an observer when Khadr was questioned on Aug. 12, 2002. He said the interrogation team employed the approved “Fear Down” and “Fear of Incarceration” techniques to get the captive to talk. The idea was to reassure the teen he was safe, the soldier said, and get Khadr to talk to hasten his release.

But rather than admit his true identity, Khadr described himself as a Pakistani orphan named Akhbar Farhad who was working as a translator at the time of his capture, Interrogator No. 2 said.

On cross-examination, Interrogator No. 2 acknowledged that the questioning took place while Khadr was on a stretcher — he couldn’t remember if Khadr was shackled to it — and that his notes included this detail: “Clarification was difficult due to the sedation and fatigue of the detainee.”

Army Lt. Col. Jon Jackson, Khadr’s Pentagon-paid defense lawyer, said testimony would show that Khadr was first questioned within just 12 hours of his transfer from the U.S. field hospital to the detention center.

Interrogator No. 2 said he learned that Khadr’s chief interrogator was later convicted of detainee abuse at a military court martial.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: