Pakistan court acquits nine terror suspects

(AFP) A Pakistani anti-terrorism court Thursday acquitted nine men accused of involvement in the killing of a senior military officer and a deadly attack on an army bus, state media reported.

Judge Raja Ikhlaq Hussain acquitted the nine who were accused of involvement in the suicide bomb attacks on army surgeon general Lieutenant General Mushtaq Baig and the bus, the Associated Press of Pakistan said.

The court acquitted the accused after their lawyer pleaded that there was no evidence against them, it said.

The general, his driver and guard were killed along with five civilians and 25 people wounded in a suicide car bomb attack in the garrison city of Rawalpindi on February 25, 2008. Six people were killed and 38 wounded when a suicide bomber rammed his motorcycle into an army bus taking medical staff to work in Rawalpindi on February 4, 2008.

Last week a Pakistani court freed four men put on trial over the 2008 bombing of the five-star Marriott hotel in Islamabad that killed at least 60 people after the prosecution failed to prove the case.

A wave of attacks linked to Islamist militants has killed about 3,200 people around Pakistan since government forces fought gunmen holed up in the radical Islamabad Red Mosque in July 2007, sparking militant retaliation.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: