Five men on trial for planning Australian Army attack

An Australian court has begun on Monday hearing the case against five Melbourne men accused of planning a terrorist attack on the Holsworthy Army base in Sydney. The Prosecutor said that the men planned to shoot as many people as possible in the planned suicide raid on the army base in retaliation for Australia’s involvement in the Afghan war.

Wissam Fattal, Saney Aweys, Nayef El Sayed, Yacqub Khayre and Abdirahman Ahmed, all Australian citizens with Somali and Lebanese background, have been in custody since last year and all pleaded not guilty to conspiring to prepare or plan a terrorist act.

Judge Betty King told the jury that the case was not about the religion of Islam, but whether the men were guilty of criminal charges. “The Islamic faith is not on trial. It isn’t about being a Muslim,” said King.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: